Monday, August 17, 2009

The Fig Thief


There is a dear family I have known for over 15 years. (I call them my second family). At one time there were two large fig trees in their front yard. If I remember correctly one was struck by lighting and had to be cut down. ( I wonder if this was punishment to the fig tree for allowing Adam & Eve to use its leaves as clothing?) Up until about eight years ago I’d alleged that I didn’t like figs. One day as we were standing out in their yard doing our final good- byes I was urged to try one, and I did.

WHY DID I DO THAT ?! I began to pick them and eat them right then and there. (No I didn’t wash them off, simply eyeballed them.) Those plump, sun warmed fruits were delicious.


Alas, another food I’d fallen for.

Their tree is always heavy with the fruit. Every year they let me know when they are ripe so that I can come over and pick my fill. I was so enamored with the fruit that I jokingly threatened to rob them of their fruit while they were unaware. I even sent them a Power Point presentation along with a story about The Fig Thief. Thereafter, whenever the figs became ripe, I’d get a call asking me to pass on to the Fig Thief that the figs were ripe. They seemed to get a kick out of it.

Things are a little different now with the family. There was a major life change which they are still healing from. I didn’t do a Power Point this time but I did write a very short Fig Thief story and sent it. I could tell it was enjoyed because the reply to the e-mailed story was:


LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

>>>

Here is the 2009 version of The Fig Thief


Early one Saturday morning, an unknown entity descended onto the C. property.
Unbeknown to the occupants a fig thief was about to strike!




The culprit eyed the fullness of a tree laden with FIGS.



Striking quickly she helped herself to the luscious fruit, greedily devouring the savory fruit as she picked.


When she’d had her fill she stealthily planned her retreat with this reminder ;

YOU'VE BEEN ROBBED!!!!!!!!



Epilogue:
Greed was the downfall of this low life. Law enforcement apprehended the fig thief at the nearby Texaco gas station.



Moral: She/He who overeats figs may wind up in the toilet.







THAT'S IT***
























No comments:

Post a Comment