Friday, February 24, 2012

FAKE ART CANVAS HANDBAG
I like many of the unique items featured at the Anthropologie site. No way will I be purchasing any of their goods because:
1. It doesn't come in my size.
and
2. It's out of my budget.
Thankfully I don't have to join their site just to look. A lot of other sites are snobby that way. Their handbags are impressive. I saw  this one and admired it. It was on sale for ~$80.
 
They also have another tote style that runs close to $400.


I got to work trying to figure out how I could make something similar to the envelope clutch.


Holding the rolled print in place with cans from the pantry.
White canvas fabric  before staining.

The fabric and print were stained with  several coats of brown acrylic paint mixed with decoupage medium. I still wasn't pleased and so I added a little strongly brewed coffee to the decoupage.  The weather was pleasant and so I hung it outside on the fence to dry between coats.


I could leave it as is but I decided to put in a lining.
Before putting in the lining I  attached a pocket. I know it's shabby but I wasn't that interested in making it perfect. This is a test. All of the materials used except the art print were scraps or pieces I had in the closet that were either left over from other projects or never used and part of my stash.


These pictures are a little out of sync. This should have been above. I should have put the pocket on before
sewing the lining to the top. After attaching the pocket , I attached the lining with fusible web. It worked like a charm. 

This was the hardest part, sewing in the gusset. When it came to the curve of the purse, I was unable to position things so that I could sew it so I ended up gluing the curved area down from the inside.
The open purse
No, the stitches aren't straight and uniform but I'm still pleased with it.

Purse closed with  stained canvas flap

Not perfect but I'm pleased with it. The bead at the closure was made with scrap from the print.  I have been experimenting with paper bead making.




Velcro is used to close it.
There are flaws which I expected. Overall I succeeded in what I wanted to accomplish.

THAT'S IT ***