Friday, February 17, 2012

beat·nik/ˈbētnik/
Noun: A young person in the 1950s and early 1960s belonging to a subculture associated with the beat generation.

A play on words with beet and beat. In this case it has to do with a cake.  I'd seen  it first at Tiger in a Jar. Intrigued, I had to try it.   There are many recipes that use veggies in an unusual way. Zucchini bread, bean pie, banana bread, carrot cake, sweet potato pie (my favorite) and the list goes on.

I used the recipe at Southern Food About.


BEETNIK CHOCOLATE CAKE
Cook Time: 30 minutes


Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
•2 cups all-purpose flour
•1 1/2 teaspoons soda
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 1/2 cups sugar
•1/2 cup cocoa powder
•3 large eggs, beaten
•1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, Canola or corn oil
•1 1/2 cups grated cooked beets
•2 teaspoons vanilla
•powdered sugar, optional

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine flour, soda, salt, sugar and cocoa in a bowl; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs and oil. Beat in vanilla and continue beating until well blended. Slowly beat in dry ingredients until well mixed; stir in beets. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cake bounces back when touched lightly with finger.

Cool in pan on a rack. Frost cooled cake or dust with powdered sugar.

As usual, I gathered the crew so I'd make sure I had all I needed before getting started. 
In a bowl I placed the dry ingredients: sifted flour,soda,salt and cocoa powder. I put it aside.
I bought two cans of beets and needed both.
The pureed beets are  such a pretty color.

After combining and mixing everything thoroughly I poured it into a 9x13 inch greased and floured pan. The batter has just a slight pinkish tinge to it.

After baking at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes I had a wonderful cake. I wish I could show you the cake before I cut it but, the aroma, anxiousness and salivating took over.
This cake was scrumptous. There was no taste of beets. This might be a good way to get in those veggies that some of us aren't that fond of.

I was so proud of myself because I'd actually made a cake from SCRATCH!

Whoopee!

I didn't eat the whole thing. I shared a couple of slices with my nephew whom I didn't tell that it contained beets until after he'd eaten it. He too said it was delicious and said he was glad I didn't tell him ahead of time that it had been made with beets. 

 The rest of the cake has been cut in squares, wrapped and placed in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

I understand that there is also an alternate recipe where beets take the place of carrots in the cake and some of the beet juice is used to color the cream cheese frosting.
That's It***