Wednesday, May 8, 2019

I'm Not A Role Model

"I'm not a role model."
Do you remember that quote by  Charles Barkley?


In a similar vein, I'm Not a Cook.

There are those who can turn out the perfect dish on any occasion.  
Whenever asked if I can cook, I respond with, "You can eat it."
I'm basically a fast food person.
From time to time I'll have a burning desire to prepare home cooked food and try out new recipes. When I do, I try to prepare enough so that some can be portioned out and frozen for future meals.

The few times I've had guests over I make sure that what I prepare is foolproof, AND often I prepare it the day before so that in the event it's a bust, I have plenty of time to purchase a frozen entree and packaged salad from the grocery store to fill in for the mess up. 

                                                            ***

Macaroni and Cheese.....The comfort food
I wanted the real thing. Made from scratch.  I decided I'd make individual servings using my muffin tins. That way I'd be able to freeze the single servings, heat and eat when I had a taste for it.




There is no end product or Voila' !
WHY?

  • I went by memory and didn't use a recipe.
  • I didn't have enough whole milk to make the sauce. So, I tried to add Almond milk and cornstarch together to thicken the sauce. BTW-That doesn't work. The cornstarch    didn't even dissolve.
  • When I took it from the oven it was a sloppy mess.
Sooooo... It went the route of other cooking catastrophes...

BUT,
The oven fried chicken thighs were delicious. I only oven fry

There are too many places that sell fried chicken for me to bother dodging Nth degree,
 hot, popping, cooking oil and maiming myself all in the name of fried chicken.

Another lesson learned in the culinary kitchen.
That's it***

NOTE: 5-30-2019 An update can be found here.





1 comment:

  1. lol, your cooking misses reminds me of my early cooking days. Didn't know what I was doing but being a perfectionist, I was determined to learn. Hint: Stick to one easy recipe at time and follow it to the letter--it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete