Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Sprucing up the Door Mat

Bored yet wanting to feel constructive I decided the door mat needed sprucing up. When I bought it, there were subtle, muted colors shaded blue, pink, green. Over time and wear the colors faded so that now the entire mat was just black rubber.


I used acrylic paint with the idea of sealing it with a varnish once I'd finished. I'd seen this idea elsewhere online. 


Seasoned painters and artists may already know this but;
I took the mat outside, laid it on the ground and gave it three coats of spray *varnish ( see warning) at 30 minute intervals.
*WARNING:  The directions say to spray in a well ventilated area. I  sprayed outside on the ground without a mask, goggles or protective clothing. Unfortunately, a breeze came up and blew the varnish back on me and I accidentally inhaled it. Later, I was wondering why I had a sore throat and upper respiratory discomfort.  After reading about side affects from inhalation, I knew it was the varnish.  This is day three and I'm feeling much better. By day four it should be completely gone. So, if you use this product cover and protect yourself unless you just happen to have a spare HAZMAT suit hanging in your closet.

I'm very pleased with the outcome. The bright colors are welcoming to visitors.

next week Will my Garden Grow?
That's it***



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this mat. Will I try it?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this. Same paint for coconut fibre mats?

    ReplyDelete