Friday, November 11, 2011

Straddled Between the 20th and 21st Century

I'm turning into one of Them.
Them being people who are holding on to things that have become obsolete or heading down that path.
I know of someone whose grandmother didn't trust banks so she hid her life savings at home. (Maybe she had visions of Occupy Wall Street in the future)
rotary telephone

My mother enjoyed talking on the phone to her friends.  When her phone finally died she didn't want a phone with push buttons she wanted a rotary phone.  Bell South, South Central Bell *or whatever name they were going by no longer had those, so she had to use the push button phone. She soon got used to it and later graduated to a cordless phone.
*SIDEBAR: During this time telephones had to be purchased or rented from a Bell South store. You would turn in your old phone for a new one.

It makes no sense to have a cell phone AND a land line. I admit that. But I can't let it g-o-o-o-ooo. I'm having a problem accepting that this will someday be the norm.

My home phone


My home phone #2

My home phone #3

My home phone #4








Yet, there's just something comforting about seeing a telephone plugged into a wall. Truth be told,  during stormy weather, the lights may go out but, the phone usually stays on.  Still, it's extra money I'm paying out when I could be using it for other things.

Unlike many people, I don't keep a cell phone tethered to my body. I don't turn it on unless I'm expecting a call  or I'm in my car, which means I don't check it for messages everyday. I abhor people who walk around in public talking on a cell just because they can. I don't need to go into this. You've heard my cell phone rants before.
I don't want to be available all the time. I don't want telemarketers and the like calling me on my cell. Using a cell as a primary phone will eventually lead to this.
I only give my home number unless it's someone  I really want to hear from or I deem it as important.

I've had this phone less than a year and I was happy with it.
Generation Y has embraced this as a way of life. No sooner than I learn to use one phone another comes out.

Maybe I'm headed on the right path. I changed carriers and I have another phone that has taken me three weeks to learn to do the basics.   One of my young friends was kind enough to show me how. I've become a little more relaxed with it.

As far as breaking it in, I've literally done that, dropping it on the concrete porch and getting a crack in it.

Why don't mobile phones and other transported small technology have a  place where you can attach a wrist strap to it  like cameras do. Is it because the carrier wants you to drop it and have to buy another one? Right now I'm keeping mine inside of a sock.
THAT'S IT***