Friday, April 1, 2011

The Bad, the Ugly, the Good

THE BAD I’ve never made pie crust from scratch. I always buy them frozen. I’d purchased a bag of fruit from ALDI. In a previous post I raved about the pear cobbler I’d had at Gabriella’s. Using the increasingly ripening fruit, I decided to make my own pear cobbler. I planned to use a plum cobbler recipe for the filling. I found a recipe for a No Roll pie crust.





Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup canola oil

2 tablespoons milk


Directions

1. In a 9 inch pie plate, sift flour, sugar and salt. make a well in the center and pour in oil and milk. Mix with a fork, then press into the bottom and sides of pie plate.

2. To bake: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C.) Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

Assemble the crew, flour, sugar, milk (I used evaporated) salt, oil (I used olive oil) and a well used pie pan. I mixed all of these ingredients in the pie plate and began pressing it out around the sides and bottom. I poked holes in the sides and bottom before placing it in the oven to bake. When I took it out of the oven the sides were lacy looking and the crust was a golden brown.


THE UGLY Unfortunately, it didn’t hold together. It could easily be scraped into large crumbs. I think there was too much oil but, I’m not a chef so who knows? I scraped everything into the middle of the pan and threw it out for the birds. Low cholesterol bread crumbs so to speak.

That’s when I decided to stick with the tried and true. Gather the crew again .

In a bowl beat one large egg with 1/2 cup of sugar, 3 TBSP of melted butter and 1/3 cup of milk.


In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup of flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir into the first mixture until smooth and well blended. Peeled and sliced pears placed in casserole dish sprayed with Pam. TBSP cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold water. Pour over pears.

Add cup sugar (or to taste) 1/2 tsp each, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well into the pears.









Top with batter. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown.


The batter will spread to make a sort of crust. Cool and eat. THE GOOD The moral of this story is to stick to what you know. THAT'S IT ***

No comments:

Post a Comment