"Jennie Lorette Keatts creates handmade pottery cabochons, using Jugtown Pottery glazes. She then sets the stones into her own hand fabricated silver designs."
Here's my DIY
flat glass beads (Dollar Store)
Floral wire (Dollar Store)
white school glue
jump rings (in my stash )
I began with prepping the cardboard the way I explained in my previous post titled Copycat. I made a freehand drawing of a triangle with curved angles and used it as a template. After cutting out the number of triangles I needed, I painted them with Dark Patina, a metallic acrylic paint by DecoArt. I went around the edges with a silver Sharpie pen. The pieces were sealed with a matte water based sealer.
After the pieces were completely dry, I used my drill to place the holes for the jump rings and to join the pieces together.
The inspirational necklace has earthy semiprecious stones. I didn’t have those so I used flat glass beads that are often used in flower vases and other decorations. If you go to my Tablescape post you’ll see where I used them as a decorative accent.
I didn’t have any silver wire so I decided to use blue floral wire which matches the flat glass beads. I could have painted the wire after gluing it to the triangle but I would have to sand it first to rough it up so that it would accept the paint.
I have yet to figure out a
cheap, free, creative way to make a bezel for the settings. In this case I used a silver Sharpie( see yellow arrow) and colored around the flat bead to give the appearance of a bevel before gluing it on.
The hooked end of the clasp I made from a paper clip (see blue arrow). I need more practice on this.
AFTERTHOUGHTS The metallic paint was not the color I expected. Under store lights and in the bottle it appeared to be what I wanted but it was too dark. The glue gun gave me fits with strings going everywhere. It would make huge globs when I didn't need it to and not enough glue when I needed it. It made the project not as neat as I would have liked it. I have since learned that cleaning the nozzle and freezing the glue sticks is supposed to help with that problem. I'll try it and see. Using the silver Sharpie to imitate a bezel didn't work.
It has more of a medieval look to me.