Friday, October 28, 2011

CLASSIC WEEKEND

There's a lot going on this weekend.
My alma mater goes against Alabama State Saturday, October 29th.
I'm not a sports person so I don't attend the game.

I do enjoy the parade. In the past years the parade time has changed from 9 am to 8 am. I've been unable to attend for the past 4 years because I was working. Now that I am no longer working, I'll have the opportunity to hear the bands and see the floats. Lisa Raye McCoy is to be the the parade's Grand Marshall.

There's to be much tailgating with some people arriving as early as last Sunday so that they could obtain a coveted spot for their trailers and mobile campers at Legion Field where the game is to be played.  

Tom Joyner and his crew will also be on hand for tailgating. In the past Tom Joyner would bring a show to the BJCC and broadcast live. People would line up as early as 3am just to get in and get a good seat. My sis and I went one year. When I arrived at 3 am there was already a long line ahead of us. We made it inside and the show was everything I thought it would be and more.

There will be so much associated with the 70th Magic City Classic, I can't remember it all. Steve Harvey will be doing a show. Frankie Beverly and Maze will perform. Above is a link to all of the festivities.

 On Friday, October 28th, the City of Birmingham will sponsor and serve as a host of the first Empowerment Expo , I AM CLASSIC.  There will be a job fair, spirituality, health, social media, sports, entertainment and women's issues. The expo is free. There are other portions that aren't. The website explains them.

A couple of other events I'm interested in are:

The Oak Hill Cemetery Grand Tour: October 29

This tour will feature actors impersonating some of Birmingham's famous, infamous, and ordinary early pioneers.  Many of those we read about in history books are buried there. This family-friendly event is from Noon until 6:00 pm. It is free but donations are accepted. Most recently Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth was buried there.  He was a notable Civil Rights icon.

Birmingham Southern College will present Organ Spooktacular , October 31st, 9pm in Hill Recital Hall.
This is how the spooktacular is described.

"If you've never attended a Halloween BSC Organ Spooktacular you don't know what you've been missing! This recital is filled with spooky organ music and lots of mischievious fun! Dr. Jim Cook and other talented organists are going to "treat" you to an unforgettable evening of frightful frolic (and maybe a few "tricks"). The Spooktacular starts promptly at 9 PM.....don't be late! This is a family event, so bring the kids......there will plenty of time to go Trick or Treating before heading over to the Hilltop."

Whenever I hear a pipe organ I think of scary movies. My all time favorite as a kid  was a comedy , The Ghost and Mr. Chicken starred Don Knotts. It was a great family movie that my mother took us to. It was one of those fun family times that holds a special place in my memories.

THAT'S IT***

No comments:

Post a Comment