Monday, July 4, 2011

Blogging Blitz #5

Who Talks About Laundry on a day set aside for freedom? I do. I enjoy sorting laundry, pretreating and placing it in the washing machine. In a time past I would hang my laundry on a clothesline and watch it flap in the breeze. I would sniff the fresh odor like a crack addict once the dried laundry was taken inside.


Fast forward to 2011. I no longer have a backyard and outdoor laundry is frowned upon in this community. I know for a fact that some of the folks around here with wooden fences have ventured to put in a clothesline as long as it can't be seen from the street.


Since my back strip (not backyard) is pretty secluded I have often used my folding wooden dryer to dry laundry outside.







mcguckin.com



Winn Dixie was offering a special on laundry items . With it there was a free sample of Purex 3-in-1. This is a laundry sheet that washes and softens in the machine It also has an anti static strip for the dryer.

I had items from winter that I wanted to pack and store so I decided to use the 3-in-1 product.

The instructions were to run the water in the washer, drop in the laundry sheet AWAY from the water flow, then load the laundry and let it wash.

After all cycles are complete toss the laundry and the laundry sheet in the dryer where the anti static strip performs its duty.


I can't really tell you how well the product performed because most of the clothes were dark clothes and I dried them on my wooden dryer and let the outdoor 95 degree heat on my back strip dry them. Why heat up the dryer when you can dry them for free.
The light blue line is the anti static treatment.

I plan to use this sheet again in the dryer only after I do my next load of laundry with my regular detergent.


Let me be clear (as the President says)


  • Ironing is not necessarily a part I enjoy. I will snatch an article out of the dryer as soon as a cycle is completed so it won't get wrinkled. I don't apologize for that. I have been known to dampen an article of clothing and put it back in the dryer if I missed the finishing point and it has wrinkles. SIDEBAR: I miss the gas Maytag dryer I had at the other residence. When the clothes finished drying they stayed warm for a good amount of time. No need to run a marathon to get to them before they cooled.



  • I enjoy doing laundry in the present. I would not have enjoyed doing washing in a cast iron wash pot ,sitting on a bed of fire in the backyard, stirring clothes with a stick and washing with lye soap. Oh yeah, and in the summer or winter either for that matter.





















I enjoy doing laundry so much that I plan to attend the Alabama Folk School in November so that I can learn to make laundry soap and goats milk soap.


That's It***

No comments:

Post a Comment