Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Dominoes Masters Games



About six weeks ago I began attending a Senior Center (SC) not far from me.  The SC offers numerous programs geared toward  keeping older folks active mentally and physically. 

I began playing dominoes with a couple of people and enjoyed it.  I learned that the Masters Games would be held for three days in August. I’ve never been in a tournament and  wanted to be a part of it. There was a $15 entry fee which I suppose would cover charges for the medals and etc.   Participants could sign up for as many games as they liked and pay only one entry fee.


Day 1      Horseshoes, Billiards, Bowling, Dominoes (Singles).

   Day 2      Nerf Ball & Frisbee, Basketball Free Throw, 
                   Softball Throw, Checkers,  Table Tennis, Rook
    Day 3      Dominoes (Doubles), Shuffleboard. Pickleball 

I soon discovered that there’s more to Dominoes than what I learned as a child. Terms such as spinner, mugging and counting points were foreign to me. Fortunately, one of the people I was playing with at the SC is a Dominoes guru. He taught the rest of us the ins and outs of the game.
This is not to say I became an ace player but I did gain knowledge about the game. 

 Before Game Day, people participating in the Masters were given a book with a whole passel  of  rules for each game.
The rules
The rules were staggering for a novice like me. And there would be judges.           
I only signed up for singles.
The judge reads the rules and answers any questions before game play.
She is also the time keeper.

For some reason I thought there would be monitors walking the floor to make sure we were following the rules to the letter and not cheating. 
However, the judge was the only official. She went over to a table and began using her phone.  When time was up she told us so, came around , got the scores and  told us we were free to leave. L.S. won the two out of three games that we played together.  Easy Peasy.




In  Dominoes Singles L.S. and I ⭐⭐QUALIFIED ⭐⭐for the State Games  and so did everyone else because there weren’t enough players for each age division.😊


 Little victories are better than no victories. 


 Of course I had to make a Lucky Domino necklace for the occasion.  You’ll see that in tomorrow’s post.

That's it ***
BTW--
August 31, 2019 signaled the halfway mark of my self-imposed challenge of blogging at least once a week for six months. 
Why did I make this challenge? I don’t often set goals. This was an opportunity to set a goal I thought I could accomplish by doing something I enjoy.


Next week: Barbie Turns 60










No comments:

Post a Comment