Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Other White House

 It was stately, still standing and living life


NORWOOD  was the wealthy side of town during the late 19th century and well into the 20th century. 
copied from Flickr

 The economic boom at the turn of the century afforded the newly rich to build grand mansions and stately homes.  Many of the homes from that era are still standing. They range from well-maintained to neglected and demolished.

Recently I read of Lenell’s Beverage Boutique opening in historic Norwood. 
Street view of J.R. Copeland home on right with Lenell's Beverage Boutique on the left 
2019
Up close entrance to Lenell's Beverage Boutique (left). Back
of J.R. Copeland home (right) 2019 Yes, I suppose I did trespass to take these pictures.
No one was there. It was on a Sunday.


(Left) Outside going up the drive to Lenell's Beverage Boutique.
(right) According to the article, Lenell and her daughter live nearby
and plans are underway to restore the home. Perhaps the café & bar
are part of the restoration. 2019






My interest was raised when I saw the address.  It was The White House. That’s what my coworker T.P. and I called it.

At that time, it was occupied by either a mortgage company or an insurance company.  I don't remember which. We passed it daily going to and from work. T.P. and I wondered what it looked like on the inside. 


I said to her, “I wonder if they’d let us look inside?”


One day we stopped by after work and asked if we could look around.  The ladies who worked there allowed us to look around on our own.  I guess we didn’t look threatening. They couldn’t have been nicer. 


You could see remnants of its grandness. One of the odd things I noticed was a staircase that ended at the ceiling. As I was researching this piece, I found out why those stairs went to the ceiling. In the 1920’s after the family moved out the home was divided into six apartments.


Over the years the property was home to Banks Armored Car Company, and Changes Salon Spa and Wellness Center. In 2011 there were plans to turn it into a Musicians Cooperative, but those plans fell through. In 2012 the house was sold out of  foreclosure to Lenell Camacho Santa Ana.


The home was built in 1905 for J.R. Copeland, president of Copeland Brick Company later named Copeland-Inglis Shale Brick Company. 


There are people who collect bricks. One person was searching for a Copeland-Inglis brick. Many companies would have their name engraved on the bricks.
copied from: worthpoint antiques








An ebay site offered an envelope and stamp with the Copeland-Inglis letterhead for $7.64 or the best offer.
Copeland-Inglis letterhead on ebay



The Norwood community has efforted to revitalize itself and has had success with home sales to those who love old houses and are willing to put in the sweat equity to restore them.

copied from: http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/J._R._Copeland_residence
1910
That's it***
Next week: 

No comments:

Post a Comment