Monday, April 29, 2013

LIME CAKE

Who could forget the ugly cake? 
I vowed to do better next time with a key lime cake. I became a fan of the key lime cake after attending a church tea and tasting one made from scratch by one of the ladies there. There are some things that can't be duplicated and I didn't even try. I just wanted some semblance of the cake and so I tried again after scouring the NET for EASY key lime cakes. Most of what I found was the 1960's version in which holes are punched in the cake with a toothpick and lime jello is poured on top allowing it to seep into the cake. That wasn't what I was looking for. BUT, I sort of ended up with it anyway. *More about that later.

I used a recipe I found at Fabulessly Frugal .  Of course being me I changed some things.
Here's the general recipe:


This isn't the entire recipe but you get the idea. You measure, mix, stir, etc. etc.


Items used for cake.
I used prepared limeade in place of the water the cake mix called for and lime jello to give it flavor and color.


It has such a pretty color.


This is the cake out of the oven cooling.




I used the sheet cake pan again. You may notice a greenish tinge to the cake.










I took this photo to show BEFORE things could go wrong. I cut a sliver of the unfrosted cake and put whipped topping to the side which I then spread over my cake.. The cake was delicious. It satisfied my desire for key lime cake .








*Experimenting  more I  tried to finagle a topping using lime jello and whipped topping.

The two ingredients


Dissolving and mixing the jello using limeade

















I won't show you the results but it was a retro version of the Jello Fluff without the marshmallows.  Showing the results would have made UGLY CAKE #2. The fluff tasted just fine and eventually gelled.  I prefer to leave well enough alone.
THAT'S IT ***

No comments:

Post a Comment