Saturday, April 20, 2013

UGLY CAKE

I've heard Sis talk about making an ugly cake but since I rarely bake I couldn't feel her pain. I felt it a few days ago.  The cake was ugly but it tasted good.

Leave it to Sunday Church gatherings to taste everyone's prized recipes.  SInce I usually opt to bring the paper plates, plastic ware, napkins or whatever else can be bought ready made, I don't  cook a dish.

JePa made a mandarin orange refrigerator cake.  Smooth, refreshing, delicious. I had to have the recipe. I was so anxious to make this cake that I googled it and selected the recipe with the ingredients she said were in her version.

Gather the crew

MANDARIN ORANGE PINEAPPLE CAKE printed from Cooks.com
1 box yellow cake mix

1/2 c. Crisco oil
1 sm. can Mandarin oranges with juice, cut up
4 eggs

Combine ingredients and beat 2 minutes. Grease and flour well two 9 inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely. Cut layers in half crossways making 4 halves.

TOPPING
1 (15 1/4 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 sm. box vanilla instant pudding
1 lg. container Cool Whip
Beat ingredients for 2 minutes. Ice between layers, over top and sides. Refrigerate.




So far it's going pretty good.                    
I didn't have two round cake pans so I used this one long one.




That's parchment paper between the layers so that they don't stick.
 After the cake cooled I cut it in half and then cut it again crosswise leaving me with four layers.              

I'm well aware that there is no picture five. It was a picture of the
ugly cake before it was cut.
   After making the topping, I frosted the four layers and put it in the fridge. Here is a slice of the ugly cake.                         I probably shouldn't have cut the layers crosswise .  Whirling the pineapple in the blender along with the pudding and whipped topping would have made it smoother to spread.

No, I didn't eat the entire cake.

I cut the rest of the cake into slices and put them in the freezer. This will be good for those days when I want something sweet.
I plan to try this again but next time I want a Key Lime cake.

I used the Tranquil photo element at Pic Monkey on my photos. It's the same thing  they do to the camera to make aging film stars look good. There was no way it could get any worse since the cake as a whole didn't have a good side.
THAT'S IT***

No comments:

Post a Comment