Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"ORGAN-IZING" DIVERSITY

East Lake United Methodist Church gave an organ concert as part of its East Lake in the Afternoon series. From a previous post I wrote about having a vendor's booth for the first time during their East Lake Farmer's Market season as well as being a consumer of their fresh produce. This is a  church that  didn't leave when the community began "to change," or "became more urbanized.." You can read between the lines on what that means. On their church marquee and on tee shirts worn by many of the members is written:
 In the neighborhood for good
I suppose that is why the concert was titled "Organ-izing Diversity".  Below is a copy of the program.

Overlook the written notations in the margin of the program. It was just a note to self .
I'd been told that there wouldn't be the standard long hair classical music but a mixture of it with modern music..  The musician in residence Dr. John Schwandt is an associate professor and Director of the American Organ Institute at the University of Oklahoma School of Music.  I won't go into all of his credentials but they were impressive.  The talent he portrayed on the pipe organ was mesmerizing.

Not only did I want to attend the concert but I reaaaaalllly wanted to see what the inside of the church looked like. It has been there for 125 years. I enjoy viewing architecture and somehow knew it would be beautiful inside. Imagine a medieval castle or english tudor.  It has gothic archways of stone. The sanctuary has exposed beams and very high ceilings. I didn't get to see the entire church but there a lot of nooks and crannies.  I suggested that perhaps they should do a tour as a fund raiser. I most certainly would attend.

I'm still honing my video skills. I listened to this video so many times  while trying to edit it, I had an ear worm.  The song was stuck in my head for 2 days. I still haven't gotten it just right but as far as I'm concerned it's good enough.

You'll hear someone humming at the beginning. It isn't me. It's a lady that sat next to me. I have no idea what she was humming and I don't think she did either.






THAT'S IT***


No comments:

Post a Comment