Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sewing a Skirt

Since I haven't done any "people" sewing in a very long time (think years), I thought I'd try my hand at it. Taking a cue from other sewing blogs I've visited, I also attempted to make a muslin pattern.  I fashioned it after a paper pattern I've had a number of years that I knew was too small.

Muslin pattern for skirt
I wanted pockets so I made them freehand. I have never been able to  measure patterns correctly. (I must have been absent on the day of that class) After basting the muslin together and trying it on, it seemed too small. As you can see I added another piece to the side seams. Turns out, I didn't need it and the skirt was waaaay toooo big.

This fabric is a polyester, orange and purple tweed

Here is the finished skirt laying flat...
and hanging.

This project didn't go as well as I would have liked. As you can see I ended up putting a folded seam down the front.  I'd had this fabric for at least 18 months. I was attracted to it by its tweedy look. The fabric ravels something terrible. I didn't bother to line it since this is an attempt at something I haven't done in a long while. For me sewing is not like riding a bicycle. I need to relearn this.

No comments:

Post a Comment