Wednesday, August 24, 2022

SHORT: Black-eyed Pea Salad

 Wanting a meatless meal but also wanting to get the necessary nutrients and protein, I tried this salad. I'd heard about it but, had never tried it.  I did make some substitutions and negations.  The following recipe is from Taste of Home.



Black-Eyed Pea Salad

Ingredients

  • 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 each small green, yellow and red peppers, finely chopped
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 celery rib, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
  • dressing:
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine peas, tomatoes, peppers, onion, celery and basil.
  2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours before serving.

Substitutions and Negations

*I used peas I'd cooked. I  overcooked them but, I'll know better next time.

*I used a regular tomato. No red onion so I used white. No celery so I used cucumber. No basil so I used salt and pepper, added cheese.

*I used bottled vinaigrette  dressing.  

I enjoyed the salad and I'd make it again.

That's it🥗🥗🥗

No comments:

Post a Comment