Saturday, April 22, 2017

Record Store Day



Record Store Day is an annual event inaugurated in 2007 and held on one Saturday every April to "celebrate the culture of the independently owned record store" (Wikipedia)

There are only two record stores in Birmingham that I know of. One is Charlemagne which has been in existence since Moses. The other is Seasick Records which is pretty new to the block.

I chose Seasick Records located in Crestwood which is closer to me. Thinking Record Store Day was April 20, I went inside and proclaimed, Happy Record Store Day to which I was told would take place on April 22nd. 
ALTHOUGH I did find out that 4/20 is Weed Day. (You can Google it or click the 4/20 link) The lack of customers and a couple of guys getting their hair cut should have been an indication that I was there on the wrong day.

I went back April 22nd and there were throngs of people actually buying vinyl also known in my era as records, LPs and 33s. 
You won't see any people on this picture because I took these on 4/20. As you can see they have a large variety of vinyl but they also sell a few CDs, Indie music and locally pressed vinyl.

Did I mention they have a two station barbering corner? It's right back there where you see the two large mirrors.
Yes, I took a picture of the restroom. They have this cool mural painted on the walls.

Since the albums were only $3, I bought a Sammy Davis Jr. and Ashford and Simpson.

 I've played the Ashford and Simpson album and it sounds great.


This poster shows pics of the guest DJs for the day. One is the mayor of Birmingham. There was a wall of flyers inside Crestwood Coffee (rt.) of Coming Attractions.


I also visited in this same shopping strip, Crestwood Coffee and the future home of Crestwood Pharmacy and Fountain.  I'll post about those in a different post.


That's it.





No comments:

Post a Comment