Tuesday, February 2, 2016

BOK CHOY RELOADED

www.skinnymoose.com 


I tried bok choy also known as Chinese cabbage for the first time a few months ago. I really liked it. There are numerous recipes on how to prepare it. I chose to saute the leaves and stems with a little olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper. As much as I'd like to have more, it's a little pricey for me. $2.49 for a bunch at Publix. Once it's cooked, there's enough for maybe 2 servings.

While visiting YouTube which is something I do frequently, I came across videos of people regrowing  vegetables from a part that was left over. I've tried this with celery, green onions, basil and some others. These were all curiosity experiments and no expectations of a full-fledged plant.






After cutting across the base of the plant,
copied from http://blog.spacegirlorganics.com/regrowing-bok-choy/ 
 I placed the base in water.
Top view after two weeks


Side view after two weeks


I read that the plants enjoy cool weather, sun and that the roots do better in the dark. That's when I took it outside and planted in potting soil. Also, the outer stems were disintegrating in the water.
We've had freezing weather and warm sunny weather here in Birmingham, Alabama. You never know what to expect. I never took the plant inside. I let it fend for itself.









You can see the roots attached to the soil





Today I wanted to see if the plant was making any progress after over a month.













After shaking off the dirt this is what was left.
 
The plant really hasn't grown that much.


After further reading I found that for a complete adult plant, it is necessary to grow them from seed.
I'll eat the leaves off of this and keep sprouting it in water until its completely spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment