Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Adult Coloring

My brother and his wife would color with their daughter when she was a little girl. I remember him saying how relaxing it was. This was over 25 years ago. Coloring with crayons for adults was not something you'd hear of back then. Sure, you could get away with it if you were sharing an activity with a child. On your own, it might cause other adults to give you  an over the shoulder, second glance. 

NOW there are coloring books for adults. Recently, I was in a local library where one of the activities that morning was adult coloring. I was invited to stay but because of previously scheduled commitments, I had to decline.

After seeing a flier for adult coloring at another library I decided to attend.  The catch word for me was, "coffee." There would be coffee and muffins or, if coffee wasn't your pleasure, bottled water. I'm a coffee lover so I was sold.

There were four other ladies in the meeting room. The librarian had us select a page from one of the several books available. Selections were printed on card stock.  The tables already had pencil colors so all we had to do was get busy. One person brought her own coloring book that she'd been working on. She'd been using  markers made especially for coloring books that didn't bleed through the pages.

I've seen the adult coloring books. They can go from tame to risque. 
The tamer ones usually have very intricate pictures. I chose a design that wasn't so elaborate. Otherwise, I'd become frustrated  and stressed  causing the purpose for coloring to become null and void.

I enjoyed the experience.  It reminds me of the vintage "Paint by Number" series so popular during the 1960's.

Interacting with other people in a comfortable environment made it even better.

THAT'S IT***





No comments:

Post a Comment