Tuesday, April 24, 2012

HOT WATER PIE CRUST???

Before I go any further I want to thank Shelia-CTK  for her comment and letting me know my comment button has been turned off. I was wondering why no one would play with me. My bad. Thanks Shelia.

I've never made a pie crust from scratch . From what I've been told many of the ingredients should be used cold, such as cold water. Pet Ritz and other store brands come to my aid when baking .So when I saw this recipe on the back of Clabber Girl baking powder that called for HOT water, I was intrigued. There might be hope for me in the homemade pie crust department.







I'm pretty sure you can't see the microscopic writing on the back of the can so here is the recipe.

HOT WATER PIE CRUST
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups unbleached sifted flour
1/2 tsp Clabber Girl Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt






Gather the crew as usual.









DIRECTIONS

1. In a small saucepan pour boiling water over the shortening and beat until creamy.
NOTE: Though the shortening had softened, it was still in brick form. Cut up the shortening before trying to whip it on low with your mixer. Otherwise you'll get scalded by the hot water and Crisco. Trust me. I DID IT!. Ouch! HOT! And, it also got on the floor. Did I stop and clean it up? Oh no. I would wait until after I'd finished everything. That thought was changed after skating around on the floor for a few rounds and almost doing splits. James Brown I ain't.



Ready to be incorporated
 2. Stir in sifted flour, Clabber Girl Baking Powder and salt.














Right here is where I should have had a clue of the outcome

















Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the freezer we go
 3.Form into a ball and chill about two hours.















The highlighted directions  deal with use of the dough in recipes. I didn't get this far.
4.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F

5.Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness on lightly floured board.











6. Place in two 9-inch pie pans and bake at 450 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Note: Prick with a fork before baking to make pie shells for filling later.

No badge for me in the pie crust Hall of Fame. As I was  writing this and read # 3, the directions said to chill not put it in the freezer! (duh!)   Again Pet Ritz  to the rescue of this baking challenged woman. No, I won't be trying it again but it was fun experimenting. I'll probably end up feeding the other dough to the water fowl at a nearby park.
THAT'S IT ***

No comments:

Post a Comment