Monday, April 12, 2010

Released from Bondage and On Parole

Dental retainers


Women more than men are always obsessing about something. There are women who obsess about weight, hair and other physical features. I obsess about teeth. The first thing I look at is a person's teeth. The way I see it is if you have rotten, missing teeth you don't take care of yourself. Of course there are exceptions to this rule such as a person who is on medication, ill or someone who can't afford dental care. Dentures are fine because that shows the person has pride in his /her appearance. Furthermore, I have to say I am completely befuddled by a person in an expensive car, wearing expensive clothes with a jacked-up mouth.

I don't know how true it is but rumor has it that the Brits are notorious for having some of the worst dental hygiene. I can't even imagine how it smells.

Some years back I began having TMJ problems. The first person I visited wanted to reset my jaw through surgery. Once that's done it is irreversible. This means that if my TMJ was a temporary problem which would have eventually cleared up on its own I wouldn't be able to change it. No alternative was offered by this "professional". I was instructed to call back if I decided to go this route so that they could get clearance from my health insurer.

I've always been impressed with beautiful smiles. I wanted teeth like Lena Horne.

After getting three other opinions, two from dentists and one from an orthodontist, I decided on braces.

The orthodontist looked at my teeth, did all of the preliminary work and said my mouth was crowded and I'd have to have 4 teeth removed.

My appointment with the oral surgeon wasn't bad at all. I asked to keep the teeth which I may turn into jewelry someday. ( I know what you're thinking) I bleached the teeth so the dried blood is no longer on them. Below is what my mouth looked like after removal of the teeth and having the braces put on two and one-third years ago. (not pretty)

This next shot shows the bands and braces after that wonderful day on March 30, 2010.
The round rings are the bands that go around the top and bottom of the back teeth. The curved arcs are the braces. I won't go into all of the details about glue, ligatures, elastics, etc.



These are casts of my lower and upper teeth after the removal of the braces so that retainers could be made. My retainers are clear, similar to the Invisalign braces. Retainers are necessary to keep the teeth in place after the braces have been removed. I was given the casts so that in case I lose my retainer(s) they can make a new one from the cast.



I will be on parole (wearing the retainers) for six months. I must wear them 24/7. I am only to remove them to eat, drink and clean them. I usually clean them when I brush my teeth.



The cost? Extractions$$$$$$, X-rays, Braces, check ups, etc. $$$$$$,



The results...PRICELESS!!



That's It ***

No comments:

Post a Comment