Thursday, July 9, 2009

Woodlawn United Methodist Church

I’ve always admired the architecture and beauty of Woodlawn United Methodist Church. It was built in 1912 and was on it’s way to becoming a century old. Unfortunately, the church met its end on May 31st. A fire broke out around 1:45 pm during a worship service and the church immediately became engulfed in flames. This church is along the thoroughfare I use to get from one side of town to the other. I remember heading down First Avenue on that very day and having to detour because the street had been blocked off. The detour was a good distance from the church so I had no idea what was going on.


I was stunned to learn that fire had consumed this historic edifice. None of the worshippers were injured but one firefighter received non life threatening injuries when debris fell on his shoulder.
Additional pictures and video of the fire can be found here. Also, here.



Antiques enthusiasts and E-Bay merchants would probably enjoy sifting through the ruins for any memorabilia from the old church. I suppose that’s what prompted this sign.
The pastor of the church , Larry Horne vows that they will not be leaving the area. He stated , "we will be here.” I suppose this positive attitude is what motivated this sign.




Each time I pass the church now, I shake my head in disbelief at the loss of such a beautiful structure.
This is a picture of the church in the 1920’s
THAT'S IT ***



















No comments:

Post a Comment