Friday, December 2, 2011

SWEET POTATO PIE


Potatoes left after using 5 for a pie
 I bought sweet potatoes, bell peppers and pears the last time I went to the Bessemer Flea Market.
The potatoes were a little small so I used about 5 to make a sweet potato pie, something I'd been craving for a while.
This is the recipe from recipezaar
SWEET POTATO PIE
Note: This recipe is very similar to the one I used when I made the bean pie

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar   (I also added 1/4 c. brown sugar)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c. evaporated milk (I used almond milk)
2 c. mashed sweet potatoes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
                                                                                         1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 9" unbaked pie shell
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
2.Add eggs. Mix well.
3. Add milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
4.Pour into pie shell
5.Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
6. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until pie tests done.
7. Cool. Store in refrigerator.

I used this to boil the potatoes


After the potatoes were done, I placed them in a colander with ice to cool them quicker.


These are the ingredients and tools I used.


It was time for Family Feud so I took a one hour break.


The pie shell was thawed 15 minutes, pricked, and placed in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes


Sweet potato filling. The white flecks are margarine.


Rim of crust covered with foil to keep it from browning too fast.

The finished sweet potato pie fresh from the oven.


Compare this BEAN PIE and potato pie. They look a lot alike and have the same consistency.
It was delicious. Craving satisfied.
That's it***