Wednesday, June 19, 2019

"He Stole My Skin"





IMAGINE a distressed ten-year-old girl stomping toward you, fists clenched, shouting,

 “He stole my skin!”

You quickly scan the troubled child for possible lacerations, gashes  and rips yet see nothing.  Baffled, you respond, 
“What’s wrong with your skin? It looks fine to me.”


Again, “He stole my skin!” This time she's pointing to a grinning, ten year old boy.

You arise from your seat to investigate. The angry, victimized young girl is trailing behind you.  Examining the scene, it’s now obvious. You tell the offending student to return the skin to the furious ten year old.


He responds, “I can’t. I ate it.”

Another  school lunchroom squabble. Solve it now or it will fester into a huge fiasco.
**********


 For me, the best part of fried chicken is the crunchy, flavor filled skin.  Sometimes you eat the skin first and delight in all of the tongue teasing spices .  Sometimes you put the skin to the side, eating it last as a pleasant memory to a scrumptious meal. 

In the abovementioned incident, the skin was laid to the side to be consumed last. A nearby chicken skin thief took it and ate it. 


Mostly everyone has heard and/or eaten pork cracklings
or pork skins.









Up until now, I never knew there was a commercial market for Chicken Cracklings which is fried chicken skin.  I had to try them.


I found these at Grant’s. It’s the same place I discovered Rap Snacks.

I paid $1.59 for a 2 oz. bag. (Pricey)

I got about a handful of skins. They were delicious. They weren’t greasy or too salty. There was a small hint of sweetness. I’d like more but it’s such a small amount for $1.59.

Ingredients include: chicken skins with attached fat, salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, dehydrated onion, tenox-4 antioxidant, natural smoke flavor, spices.







Nutrition Facts: (Are you kidding?)






Kim’s Ready To Eat ChickenCracklings processing plant is located on 3rd Street in Clarksdale, MS 38614


I wonder if they do tours and dole out free samples? If they do...ROAD TRIP!


That’s it ***









Next week: Museum in the Midst
Birminghamians, Did you know that there is a vintage car museum in Center Point? 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds a bit "Hannibal Lecterish", but no judging here. Let me get hungry enough--I'll tear them up. But the chicken cracklins only. Pork is so bad for you. haha

    ReplyDelete