Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Digging Sweet Potatoes

 I have to admit that when I saw this Facebook post,









the first thing that came to mind  was 1965 and the extremely popular tune  by Jr. Walker and the All Stars singing "Shotgun." * 

There's a portion in the lyrics that  says, 

" We gonna dig potatoes. We gonna pick tomatoes..."



After arriving it was determined that I wouldn't be digging any potatoes and that most had already been done.

I did come  prepared. 

I can't tell you the friendliness, warmth and welcoming I felt from the people associated with this church. It was if they'd always known me and I was one of their members.  






The weather was beautiful and cooperative. Here's a 360 of the surrounding area.( < :30 length)
What a tranquil site/ sight. Pews and tables located underneath this towering tree. I'm told that services are held here whenever weather permits. In case of inclement weather services are held at the Urban Ministry building located on the block diagonally east to this site. (<:30 length)


   DIGGING UP THE POTATOES  (click the link for video 1:23 length )

OTHER  GARDEN ASPECTS







I was gifted this bag of sweet potatoes by the good people at Community Church Without Walls.
DISCLAIMER:   To my knowledge, no shotguns, red dresses👗 or high heels 👠were involved with harvesting these sweet potatoes.  Although, I can still do the Jerk and the Twine.😊

S'Mores were to be roasted over the campfire later.

*Shotgun was the "Electric Slide" song of the time. You could be sure you'd have a crowded dance floor when Shotgun was played. Years later after reading the lyrics ,they seem to have been made up as the musicians were playing.   Most songs tell a story. This one did, but with some unusual characteristics.😧 Still, it was #1 on the Billboard chart for weeks.