Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Faux Leather Redo

My Sis, DPM, gave me  a beautiful bronze purse some years ago after she'd returned from a vacation. I would only use the purse on special occasions.  Well, you know the saying, "Use it or lose it." Though I rarely used the purse, the times that I would I began noticing the leather was peeling. It got so bad that I was leaving a trail of leather crumbs everywhere I walked. 
When I told Sis about it she said,  "Just throw it away. It isn't real leather."  
I didn't want to do that. It was special to me and it had beautiful hardware. 

Of course I turned to the sage of all sages (if it was a person), GOOGLE who passed me off to YOUTUBE.

I came across a video at  Kelly Barlow Creations.  She'd redone a faux leather desk chair that had started to peel.   After viewing her video I ordered the product from Amazon. Each bottle was about $7.00.

It would seem that 4 oz. wouldn't be enough but I had some left over.
BEFORE
I applied about 3 coats, allowing the paint to dry before adding another coat. It dries fast (about 30 minutes) so the task isn't laborious. 
                                                     
                                                                AFTER

After all coats had dried I applied 3 coats of the Acrylic Finisher. The yellow you see in the side picture is newspaper I had stuffed inside the purse.

I think it came out well. There are some places if you look closely you can see flaws. But, that's just the sign of a well loved article.  I'm back in business with my bronze handbag.
That's it***












Kelly Barlow Creations


No comments:

Post a Comment