Saturday, September 12, 2026

Internet Cooking 2- Simple Turnip Green Casserole

 I'd heard of all kinds of greens casseroles  and how delicious they are but, had never tasted  or tried one.  As with most recipes, the proof is in the seasonings of the cook.    

The Greens Casserole is good for using any type of leftover greens. I first used leftover kale.

I liked it so much I made it again  but, this time I used canned greens and instant cornbread mix. I like to keep things simple.

    There are numerous recipes out there on YouTube. Many that are pretty elaborate layering the greens with chicken,corn, additional cheeses and other extras.   After viewing various recipes, I developed a  simple recipe that would suit my needs. I might get fancy in the future but not this time.

Simple Turnip Greens Casserole

                    Ingredients

  • 1  27 oz. can of Margaret Holmes turnip greens, drained (or use your own leftover  greens approximately  3 1/4 cups
  • 2 boxes of  Jiffy cornbread mix (or use homemade)  yielding approximately 4 cups of batter
  • 1  8oz. block of cream cheese
  •  additional seasonings of your choice 
                                Instructions
Preheat your oven to  350 degrees

1. Drain the juice from your greens and place them in a large mixing bowl.

2. Add the 8 oz. block of cream cheese to the greens. opt. add any additional seasonings to your liking. Mix well. Set aside.


3. In another bowl prepare your cornbread batter. Set it aside.

4. Grease a suitable sized baking pan or casserole dish. (I used a 9 x 9)

5. Pour in an even layer of cornbread batter that goes up to about 1 inch in depth.  
6. Spread your greens mixture evenly across this layer of batter. DO NOT MIX  or STIR  IT.

7. Pour the remaining batter across the greens mixture. DO NOT MIX or STIR IT

 8. Place your casserole inside the 350 degree oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check  at 30 minutes to see if the casserole has "set" when you jiggle it and the  cornbread top has browned.

9. Allow the casserole to cool for about 10 minutes giving the filling extra time to set.


10. Cut a square of the casserole, place it on a dish, and serve.

Alternates and Extras
Some views showed a dollop of sour cream on individual servings.
Others showed a strata consisting of cooked chopped chicken, cheddar cheese and corn. All recipes ended with the cornbread topping.

This casserole was also delicious and simple. It's in the "Keep" pile.

That's It ***